Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Lost Egg

Have you ever lost something and then couldn't find it again?

Even if you put it down somewhere only five seconds ago?

I have. I have lost everything from CDs, jackets, and books. And mind you, I'm not losing anything I don't care about. Oh, no! Heaven forbid I lose something I actually could care less about, or feel any satisfaction for losing it in the first place.

More times than not, I haven't ever been able to find what I've lost. There have been a few times, however, where I have found things again. This post tells such a story.

Easter of this year, after getting the idea from my in-laws, I decided to create an Easter egg hunt for my siblings and my father (who has more of a kid inside of him than my own little brother) inside my parents home. I bought pastel eggs and filled all of the eggs with candy, except for the yellow or "golden" eggs. Those I filled with dollar bills. I divided my eggs in half and hid them all equally on the first and second floors. Then I let my family have at it.

World War III erupted in my living room.

Fortunately for us, we all love each other too much to do any serious or permanent damage.

They found all the eggs, some more easily than others, all but one. One lost egg. And it wasn't just any egg with candy. It was one of the "golden" eggs. No one could find it. I couldn't find it! And I had hid the darn thing! Too well it appeared.

So I kept retracing my steps, over and over. Nothing. Oh, and by the way, if you ever decide to have an indoor egg hunt, it would help to keep note of where you hide the eggs. Why didn't I think of that before I hid them???

Anyways so I get to the point where I stop and think. I pray and I asked Heavenly Father to help me find the egg. I wasn't asking for myself. The whole reason I had done this was so my family could have fun and enjoy Easter. It was such a small thing. Who would pray to find a lost egg? Well, I did. I cared about it and I figured if I did, then my Heavenly Father would too.

After my short, simple but sincere prayer, I resume searching. I'm looking in my bathroom when all of a sudden, I'm not seeing my bathroom anymore. I'm seeing a moving picture in my mind, like a movie, and it's me hiding the egg in the spot I can't find, as if I'm hiding it again at that same moment. It was like God went into my brain and hit a "rewind" button. It was that clear.

Talk about an "Ah-HA!" moment and multiply it by 10! That's how cool it was. I rush over to the spot in our game room where we have a basket of winter gloves, and sure enough there's the egg, hidden a little too well I might add. I would never have found that egg by myself.

So I tell my family I found it, give them a few clues and watch them find it. There was much rejoicing over that one little egg.

So right now you might be wondering, how did that happen? I know that memory did not come from myself. It was a gift God sent me through the power of the Holy Ghost. John 14:26 "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost...shall...bring all things to your remembrance..."

God cares about the little things in our lives, even lost eggs. If you pray and ask for His help for things big or small, He will help you as He helped me to bless my family. It might not come the same way as my example, but help will come. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment